Divorce Financial Disputes Attorney Thomas K. Mallon

Posted by Thomas MallonMay 30, 20150 Comments

Would I have any grounds to file a civil suit against my ex husband divorce (effective Dec. 2014)- He walked out on me after less than 1 year of marriage, but we were together for 10 years during which time he financial gained a lot (over 1.3 million net worth)–while I have virtually no money. He lied in court during our divorce case, claiming financial hardship–altered 2 checks of mine to pay himself, hid money, etc. Wondering if there are any Civil Grounds? 10 years together– he gained a lot $$….. I did not?


The Judgment of Divorce and any alimony orders contained in your Judgment are final in thirty (30) days from the date of the Judgment. Your remedies to change the orders contained in the Judgment are to file a Motion to Alter or Amend Judgment within Thirty (30) days, or notice of an appeal of the court's decision to the Court of Special Appeals.

If you wish to appeal any of the orders, you have Thirty (30) days from the date of the Judgment or the orders on the Motion to Alter or Amend to file a notice of appeal. Failure to file one of these pleadings within Thirty (30) days from the date of the Judgment was entered causes your right to appeal to be permanently lost. Orders of the court of division of property are not modifiable at any future date. They can only be changed by amending the Judgment, an appeal to the Court of Special Appeals, or by written agreement signed by both parties and filed with the court as an Amended Judgment. Since your Divorce was finalized in December 2014, your time to alter or amend have passed.

Having been divorced myself, I can tell you from personal experience, the best revenge is to live well. Life is just too short to worry about what you could have gotten in your divorce and that moving on as quickly and positively as possible is you best course going forward.